Sep 23, 2023
Interim Dean: Lawrence McNeil
The mission of the College of Business is to support the goals and priorities of Bowie State University by providing traditional and non-traditional students in under-served communities within the county, state and nation, the skills required to strengthen the individual competencies in the different areas of specialization in business and public administration through curriculum’s of their chosen areas of concentration in an increasingly global market place which provides online education and “real world” experience. The college emphasizes academic excellence through technological innovation, integrity in teaching, professional development, outreach, applied and instructional research.
- Develop programs and processes to enhance student learning, professional development and success.
- Ensure use of relevant technology in all aspects of student learning.
- Create and sustain an environment that is supportive of scholarly activities.
- Develop collaborative research projects with public and private organizations.
- Maintain a positive, collegial, supportive and conducive environment, in which the organizational structure and processes ensure efficient and effective operations and accountability.
- Promote and improve the image and reputation of the College of Business with the intent of increasing external fundraising.
- Develop and implement plans and programs that increase the placement of College of Business graduates and encourage businesses to recruit College of Business graduates.
Description of the Departments
The College of Business consists of three separate departments and a program in business technology. The three departments are:
- Accounting, Finance, and Economics
- Management Information Systems
- Management, Marketing, and Public Administration
The departments offer a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with seven concentrations: Accounting, Banking and Finance, Economics, Business Information Systems, General Business, Management. In addition, the Management Concentration offers two specialty tracks: Small Business/Entrepreneurship and Industrial Relations.
The College of Business places special emphasis on excellence in teaching, research in teaching methodology and the learning process as a means of enhancing teaching excellence and improving instructional effectiveness. Computer application is stressed in all disciplines.
Majors are required to earn at least a “C” grade in all courses in their major program. Graduating seniors are encouraged to take the national standardized Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) during the FALL semester of their senior year.
Students are expected to familiarize themselves and comply with the College of Business and departmental graduation standards. Each student’s program is individually reviewed and may be adjusted to reflect the student’s academic background and career goals.