Dec 02, 2023
The English Education program is offered jointly by the Department of Languages, Literature, and Cultural Studies and the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development. Students in this Program are assigned an advisor in the Department of Languages, Literature, and Cultural Studies and in the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development. This Program is designed specifically to prepare students to teach English at the secondary school level. The curriculum exposes the student to those topics stressed in the National Council of the Teachers of English (NCATE) standards and meets the requirements for teacher certification in the State of Maryland.
General Education and Institutional Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science Degrees*
Special BA and BS Degree Requirements
All English majors must:
- Pass the Bowie State University English Proficiency Examination immediately after completing ENGL 102, Argument and Research. Transfer students should take the English Proficiency Examination the first semester of matriculation. Effective Fall 2017, the English Proficiency Examination will no longer be a graduation requirement for students with the admit term of 2017.
- Take the Senior Comprehensive Examination.
- Present an original research-based paper, creative work, or investigative report at the Senior Symposium.
English Composition (6 semester hours—two courses in English composition)
Arts and Humanities (6 semester hours—one course in each of two disciplines)
- ____ ___ Arts and Humanities Elective 6 Credits
Natural Sciences (7-8 semester hours—two science course, at least one of which shall be a laboratory
- ____ ___ Natural Sciences Electives 7/8 Credits
Mathematics (3 semester hours—one course in mathematics at or above the college level)
- MATH ___ Mathematics Elective 3 Credits
Social Sciences (6 semester hours—one course in each of two disciplines in social and behavioral sciences)
Technology (3 semester hours—one course in technology)
- ____ ___ Technology Elective 3 Credits
Free General Education Electives (9 semester hours—chosen from any category within the General Education Course List)
- ____ ___ General Education Electives 9 Credits
Institutional Requirements Freshman (6 semester hours)
Health and Wellness
- ____ ____ Health and Wellness Elective 3 Credits
Freshman Seminar/Information Literacy
- FRSE 101 - Freshman Seminar 3 Credits
Special BS Degree Requirements
To be formally admitted to the education component of the Program, the student must apply to the Teacher Education Program, usually after completion of appropriate courses taken during the freshman/sophomore years. The application procedure requires the student to compile a brief portfolio, undergo an interview with a representative of the Admission and Retention Committee, and finalize arrangements to successfully complete PRAXIS I. In addition, to complete the Program successfully, the student must pass the appropriate sections of the Teacher Competency Exams (PRAXIS I and PRAXIS II). For further information, the student should consult his/her advisor in the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development.
BS majors must also:
- Take ENGL 337 geared for teaching adolescent literature in secondary school.
- Take ENGL 470 the semester before student teaching.
- Apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program.
- Apply for Directed Teaching and Seminar the semester prior to being placed.
- Have results of PRAXIS I and II sent to the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development.
Core Requirements (42 semester hours)
Total Core Requirements: 42
Total Professional Education Requirements: 34
Total Requirements for Concentration: 76
*Students must pass PRAXIS I before taking Practicum II
*Students must pass PRAXIS II during Practicum III